Thursday, June 30, 2011

Princess Pie Pops - Decorated Cherry Pie pops

 
Poor Princess Pie Guts, there was no fairytale ending for her.


Is it wrong that this picture doesn't make me squeamish just a bit hungry?

Christina from my facebook page anointed them Princess Pie Guts pops and I kinda had to agree with her from this photo. It looked a bit gruesome. Well mostly Yummy but a teensy bit gruesome.


To make them I made a batch of cherry pie pops and then decorated them with fondant. You can buy fondant at cake shops, some supermarkets or make your own marshmallow fondant using this recipe (click here).

First I cut out the pink crowns by hand the day before using a sharp knife, decorating them and laying them out on parchment paper to dry overnight.

Then I cut out the yellow hair by rolling out the fondant thinly and pressing a round cutter down just at the top point, I didn't press it all the way through. it just gave me the impression of the rounded top and then I used the sharp knife to cut around and flicked out at the bottom to make the bobbed hair. This was then pressed onto the pie pop using the tiniest amount of water.


Then I added a couple of eyes, you can use premade eyes or make some yourself with white and black fondant or royal icing. I made my own with fondant and while I was at it I rolled some of the black fondant very thinly and made eyelashes.

I used a little bit of red fondant to make the mouth, I just pinched it into a mouth like shape and the I rolled small amounts of flesh coloured fondant into a small nose.

I mixed up a tiny amount of royal icing using premix (you can get this at woolies now) and stuck the eyes, nose, mouth, crown (which was now stiff after drying overnight) and a couple of little premade flowers I had sitting around.

13 comments:

  1. You've outdone yourself! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spotted these and giggled, they are very cute. I love the name princess pie guts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great idea, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love these princesses - great fondant face detail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. is it a snack??
    pretty cute :)

    check out my blog whenever you had a chance :)

    warmest regards,
    Miss Aa
    http://miss-aa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These are just gorgeous.
    I would love to have a go at making them but am having trouble finding the sticks. I can only seem to find the paper ones that you can't bake.
    If possible can you please let me know where you get yours from? Thanks heaps.
    P.S Love your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ones I have used are paper ones but you can bake them. Wilton make some that you can use to bake. Try Ebay they usually have a good range. Or sometime the discount/$2 store near us has thick wooden skewers from their kitchen section really cheap and they work just as well, in fact often sturdier. If your in Australia I noticed these ones the other day (although have not used them so can't give a personal recommendation): http://www.cakesaroundtown.com.au/catalog/cakes-around-town-white-lollipop-cookie-sticks-1175-inches-30cm-20pk-p-4232.html?osCsid=1940a7d005907bfdc60ed0c22528554f

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,
    Thanks for the info. I will check them out.
    You are so creative, and thanks so much for sharing your recipes and ideas.
    Off to start baking!
    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe well many fairy tales have a slightly grisly element so this is quite fitting I think! :D

    ReplyDelete